COVID-19 UPDATE as of JUNE 1, 2020
June 1, 2020
To Our Patients and Friends,
We are very happy to be able to reopen our dental office after the mandated COVID-19 closure. Providing Oral Health Care for our patients is very important and we are glad to be able to do so once again.
During the weeks of June 1st and June 8th we are ramping up as we implement our new procedures and protocols designed to keep our patients and staff safe. On June 15th we will resume our regular schedule.
Many things will be familiar to our patients when they return. Our dedicated and skilled staff remains the same, as does our commitment to quality and detail. The emphasis we have always placed on cleanliness and safety is still central to our mission. In order to be able to maintain our high standards and goals, we will also be making several changes:
• As part of our appointment confirmation procedure, patients will be prescreened for COVID-19 by phone a few days prior to their appointment.
• We will adopt a “Curbside Check-in” procedure. Patients will be screened, including a temperature check, for COVID-19 again upon arrival. Then they will be asked to wait in their cars until a treatment room is available for them.
• We have hired an additional staff member – our “COVID Concierge”, whose responsibilities will include assisting with curbside check-ins and screenings as well as continually monitoring and disinfecting contacted surfaces such as door knobs, chair arms, and restroom fixtures. We are especially excited that our former assistant, Maureen, will be returning to fill this important role!
• To facilitate patient distancing, our appointment times will be staggered and additional time is scheduled between patients.
• Dental cleaning procedures will be done with conventional hand instruments rather than with the ultrasonic scaler (Cavitron) to eliminate the aerosol created by the ultrasonic scaler.
• Some necessary procedures cannot be accomplished without producing aerosol. To address this, we have converted one of our treatment rooms into a negative pressure room with the potential to recycle the air approximately every two minutes. This room will be used for those procedures.
We ask that you, as our patient, help us to keep you, our staff, and our other patients safe by doing the following:
• Please arrive 10 minutes prior to your scheduled appointment to allow time for our new pre-appointment procedures.
• Upon arrival to our parking lot, please call us from your car so we can provide you with further instructions and have our Concierge meet you.
• Please bring a mask to wear when entering our office (due to the shortage of PPE, we must preserve our supply for our staff, thus we cannot supply them for our patients). Patients will be expected to wear a mask at all times in our office except when they are actively receiving their dental treatment.
• Please use hand sanitizer upon entering the office. This will be provided for you.
• Please respect social distancing between you, our staff, and other patients as you move about the office.
• With the exception of patients who are minors, please come into the office alone.
The challenges we are facing at this unique time are new to all of us. We expect that our procedures and protocols will continue to evolve as updated governmental and scientific recommendations and requirements become available. Rest assured that we will continue to maintain the high level of professionalism, competence, and safety that you expect and deserve from us.
Finally, we ask for your understanding as we may still need to make adjustments to our office procedures and appointment schedule in the coming weeks. THANK YOU in advance for your patience in helping everyone stay safe!
We are excited to be back and look forward to seeing each of you soon!
Andrew Witrock, DMD and Diane Axelrod, DDS